Smart Systems – Extra Credit Project Choose one of the following topics:
• Smart Highways * Smart Hospitals/Healthcare
• Smart Schools * Smart Businesses/Factories/Warehouses
• Smart Data Centers * Smart Buildings
NOTE: the purpose of this paper is conduct research to create a list of “Requirements” to develop a
Smart System and then explain those “Requirements” within the paper. The “Requirements” will be
shown in a table and be included at the start of your paper, before your written document. The heading
for the table will be the name of the Smart System chosen. The table will consist of 3 columns: 1.
Requirement #; 2. Smart Sub-System and 3. Requirement statement (see details below). The reader
should be able to match each requirement in the table to its explanation in the paper. 50% of your grade
on this assignment will be based on the Requirements table. The Requirements table will include at
least 20 “requirements” and these requirements will be short, focused, statement that states what the
system “must do”, “will do” or “should do”.
Write a 7-page Word document, double-spaced, that identifies the requirements to implement the
smart system chosen and its sub-systems. The 7-pages does not include the cover page, the
“Requirements” table and the reference page(s). Do not include a Table-of-Contents or Abstract.
You must include at least 5 references with citations. Not all references need to be scholarly and
can include videos, websites, blogs, etc. You might also view YouTube videos on Augmented
Reality to extend your research on how Smart systems may evolve over time (i.e. future
applications and requirements).
Your chosen smart system will include multiple sub-systems..
Note when thinking about sub-systems: consider a Smart Home system. Within that
Smart Home, you might have a sub-system for HVAC, another sub-system for electricity,
another sub-system for communications, and another sub-system for security, etc.
Examples of “requirements” for a Smart Home are at the bottom of this document
Your paper must include multiple topic sections/paragraphs, each with a specific focus as defined below.
Make sure your paper flows logically. In your paper, provide the following:
1. A Cover Page with the title of the project and your name.
2. The “Requirements table” with at least 20 identified “requirements” from across the sub-systems identified.
3. An Introduction paragraph that summarizes the project details, identifies the Smart System chosen, and summarizes the important findings from your paper. Remember, the Introduction
paragraph is written AFTER the remainder of the paper has been written because it uses the rest
of the paper to summarize and introduce your research.
4. A major paragraph(es) that summarizes and analyzes your research of the Smart System (with an appropriate section Heading). Cite all sources and enclose directly copied source material in
double-quotes. Questions your research might answer include:
a. What is the Smart Systems purpose? b. What operations does it performs? c. What are its inputs (resources, interfaces, when used)? d. What are its outputs (interfaces, data)? e. How does the technology integrate within the system?
f. How important is the technology to the system? g. The system’s complexity, cost, and feasibility. h. Any constraints or risks found during the research. i. How the various technologies integrate to accomplish the system goals.
If your research identifies any sub-systems that are ‘futuristic’ (and not covered in the sub-
systems below), briefly describe them at the end of this section.
NOTE: this section will probably not have any requirements (other than for futuristic
technology) since these requirements will most likely be identified in the sub-systems below.
5. Next, include a paragraph(es) for each Sub-System (with an appropriate section Heading) that includes:
a. A description of this Sub-System. b. Detailed “requirements” that drive the development of this Sub-System.
Note: see the definition of a “requirement” provided at the top of this page and the
examples at the end.
c. Conclude the section with any ‘futuristic’ requirements that might be on the horizon for this sub-system, based on emerging technologies.
6. Conclude your paper with a Findings section the summarizes the important areas of your research.
To receive full credit for this assignment, you must provide a table of “Requirements” at the start of the
paper, document the smart system and document how the sub-systems are integrated as a process(es)
within that system (i.e. Smart Homes have a lot of smart tools but these tools are integrated as a smart
system used across multiple platforms – HVAC, Electricity, Communications, Security, etc.)
Example of Requirements for Smart Thermostats Requirements
• Smart thermostats will learn clients’ temperature preferences and establish a schedule that
automatically adjusts temperatures when clients are asleep or away.
• Smart thermostat should know when clients are returning home and automatically adjust clients
home temperature to preferences.
• Smart thermostats must allow clients to control home’s heating and cooling remotely through
• Smart thermostats must quickly enter a low-power standby mode when inactive.
• Smart thermostats must provide equipment use and temperature data clients can track and
• Smart thermostats must provide periodic software updates to use the latest algorithms and
energy-saving features available.
NOTE: The example above contains short, direct statements that provided specific details. Requirements
are then explained in the written paper. For this example, “must” implies highest priority; “will” implies
medium priority; and “should” implies lowest priority.
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.